Allan from the Warrnambool Coast Guard would like to share some safety advice with local anglers, which we think anyone heading out in the ocean should be familiar with.
A REMINDER FROM THE WARRNAMBOOL COAST GUARD
Emergency Contact Methods:
1. Preferred Option: Call 000 on your Phone, ask for Water Police
OR 2. Call Maritime Radio Victoria on VHF Channel 16 or 67 (24/7 Coverage)
OR 3. Phone Warrnambool Coast Guard on 03 55612625 (24/7 Coverage)
1. Make sure your boat is as safe as possible, deploy anchor or drogue (sea anchor).
2. All personal on board put on Life Jackets, warm clothing.
3. Establish your position as accurately as Possible, either:
• Geographical description (15 Km south of Hopkins mouth)
• GPS co-ordinates (degrees and minutes South and East) as ascertained on your Chart Plotter, Google Maps, Maps.Me, or other phone App OR • Use app ‘What 3 Words’.
4. Clearly state:
• Your boat name and description
• The nature of the emergency
• Number of People On Board
• Your position
5. Make sure your boat has flares onboard, an EPIRB, and life jackets are fitted with at least one Personal Locator Beacon (PLB).
6. You can share your trip progress with friends using the SAFETRX App.