Here is the report from day 3 of the Port MacDonnell Offshore Angling Club Comp, thanks to Nick Smith on their Facebook page:
Day 3 is wrapped up here at the PMOAC 34th Tuna and Sportsfish tournament. Tony Bell still leads the competition for the most meritorious SBT with his 12.04 kg Southern Bluefin Tuna (SBT) caught on 3kg line class. 30 Boats chanced the trying conditions with a total of 97 anglers on board. Weather conditions were far from perfect making the trip home from the east quite a bumpy ride for some. We had 20 to 25 knot north to northwesterly’s winds in the morning that sprung out to 30 knots in the afternoon. Seas were 1 to 1.5 metres increasing to 2 metres in the afternoon. Complete with a 2 metre southwesterly swell. All boats were home safe just before a some thunder and rain set came over. There were three beautiful SBT’s presented at the weigh in today with Craig Medhurst catching the heaviest SBT of the tournament thus far weighing in at 67.10 kgs on 24 kg line class. Not good enough to topple Tony Bell for the most meritorious SBT but good enough to put him in the lead for the heaviest SBT being the second most significant prize offered.
Tomorrows forecast is not looking very fishable so it might be a recovery day for most anglers.
1. Craig Medhurst on board “Glass Cutter” caught a SBT on 24kg line class that weighed in at 67.10 kgs. (winning the slab of Great Northern beer for being the catch of the day)
2. Nelson Millich on board “Ruby Mac” caught a SBT on 3kg line class that weighed in at 11.80 kgs
3. Kevin McLoughlin on board “Reel Scream” caught a Tope (School shark) on 6kg line class that weighed in at 20.14 kgs.
4. Neil Woolstencroft on board the “Intruder” caught a SBT on 24kg line class that weighed in at 64.78 kgs.
5. Kerry Heinicke on board “Drum Beat” caught a SBT on 24 kg line class that weighed in at 62.88 kgs
6. Tim Walcom on board “Ruby Mac” caught a Snapper on braid that weighed in at 3.82 kgs.
1. Sharna McKinnon on board the Remarkable caught a SBT on 6kg line class that weighed 10.64kgs (Slab of coke for the day)
2. Zac Currie onboard the “Remarkable” caught a SBT on 10 kg line class that weighed 11.64 kgs.